Putting Our Knowledge And Experience To Work
Surgical Error Lawyer
Medical Malpractice Attorneys for Surgical Errors in Cincinnati and Covington
When you go in for a surgical procedure, you generally expect that you will be better after the surgery than you were before undergoing surgery. In fact, you probably would not agree to undergo surgery if you knew that you were subjecting yourself to permanent, debilitating injury or death. Unfortunately, this happens far too frequently, as even a minor surgical mistake can lead to serious injury, illness, complications, infections, or even wrongful death.
At The Lawrence Firm, PSC, we are experienced in representing the victims and families of malpractice at the hands of a medical professional, including surgical errors. With offices in Covington, KY and Cincinnati, OH, our medical malpractice attorneys have decades of experience and a shared commitment to fighting for victims of surgical errors and other forms of medical negligence. For a free case evaluation and help determining if you have a potential medical malpractice lawsuit, call a Cincinnati surgical error lawyer at The Lawrence Firm at (800) 698-4054 today.
Common Surgical Errors
Many surgical errors occur due to hospital negligence, poor communication, failure to follow procedure, or negligence on the part of a doctor or assisting nurse. Due to the understaffing of hospitals, surgical errors and post-surgical complications are becoming increasingly common and can lead to permanent injury or even death.
Just as there are many ways in which surgical procedures may go wrong, there are also many different types of surgical errors that can potentially occur and constitute medical malpractice. Below are some of the more common surgical errors out medical malpractice attorneys see at The Lawrence Firm:
- Anesthesia errors: An anesthesia error can lead to low blood pressure or insufficient blood flow, a dangerous combination that can leave a patient disabled or even lead to death. Our medical malpractice attorneys are experienced in the investigation of medical injuries and in the pursuit of complex litigation related to anesthesia mistakes during surgery.
- Wrong procedure, wrong site, and wrong patient errors: Some of the worst mistakes that a surgical team can make include performing surgery on the wrong patient or the wrong body part or performing the completely wrong procedure altogether. Needless to say, wrong procedure, wrong part, and wrong site surgery errors can lead to debilitating injury and even death.
- Leaving a foreign object in the patient’s body: It may sound crazy, but it is not uncommon for medical professionals to leave foreign objects in a patient’s body before sewing them back up. This is what is known as URFO, or unintended retention of foreign objects and typically includes surgical tools such as sponges and other instruments.
- Damaging healthy organs: Many surgical errors are the result of the surgeon negligently operating outside of the anatomical boundaries or failing to recognize their own limitations. If a surgeon accidentally punctures or cuts another organ, the surgical error could lead to sepsis or another dangerous infection.
- Failure to monitor patient before, during, or after surgery: It is incredibly important that a patient is regularly monitored throughout all stages of surgery. The medical team is responsible for looking out for potential issues, such as internal bleeding, for example. Failure to address excessive bleeding can prove incredibly dangerous to the patient if not appropriately and promptly handled. A surgical error involving failure to monitor certainly makes way for a valid medical malpractice claim.
- Failure to sterilize surgical equipment: Without the proper sterilization of the operating room and surgical tools and instruments used on a patient, detrimental effects such as infection and other serious injuries can occur.
At The Lawrence Firm, our experienced surgical error attorneys will review the necessary medical documents to identify your injuries and pursue legal claims against all liable parties.
Injuries Caused By Surgical Mistakes
Injuries from mistakes during surgery, whether it be surgical site errors, URFO, or other surgical errors, can seriously affect the patient’s health. This type of medical negligence often leads to further injuries and has lifelong implications. In some very unfortunate cases, wrongful death may even occur. That’s why our Covington law firm is dedicated to assisting surgical error victims and their families in recovering the compensation they are entitled to under the law.
At The Lawrence Firm, our Cincinnati medical malpractice attorneys are experienced with all of the following surgery-related injuries:
- Cutting and nicking other organs
- Failure to identify anatomy
- Anesthesia mistakes
- Failure to monitor blood pressure
- Internal bleeding
- Brain damage and other brain injuries
- Failure to repair injured vascular injuries
- Failure to follow proper technique
- Failure to use proper instruments
- Improper patient condition
- Failure to use surgical instruments properly, causing injuries to organs and vessels
- Failure to stay within anatomical boundaries
- Disfigurement (often in cosmetic surgery malpractice cases)
- Abandoned sponges
- Abandoned instruments
- Post-surgery infection
What Can I Recover in a Surgical Error Lawsuit?
Injured victims in surgical error cases (and/or their loved ones) have the legal right to pursue compensation from the negligent medical professionals responsible for their injuries. This can be done through a medical malpractice claim. If successful, your claim may help you secure damages for the following:
- Current medical expenses
- Long-term medical treatment/care expenses
- Long-term disability
- Rehabilitation expenses
- Lost income
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental distress
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of household services
- Wrongful death damages, including burial and funeral expenses, if applicable
A number of physical, emotional, and financial challenges often arise from cases involving surgical procedure errors. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries, permanent disability, or preventable death following the negligence of a doctor or medical team during an operation, you may be entitled to compensation. Call our experienced medical malpractice law firm as soon as possible to schedule a free consultation and learn more about your legal options.
Cincinnati Medical Malpractice Attorneys For Surgical Error Malpractice Cases
At The Lawrence Firm, our personal injury lawyers are highly experienced in the investigation and identification of parties responsible for medical errors that occur during surgery. Once a formal attorney-client relationship is established, we will collect necessary medical records and documentation, contact witnesses, and consult with local and national medical experts regarding your injury. We are dedicated to protecting the rights of the injured, holding negligent health care providers accountable for their actions, and working to pursue compensation to the full extent of the law on behalf of our clients. In addition, our team of experienced attorneys will remain available to answer any questions you may have throughout the legal process and make sure you are receiving both the medical and legal attention you need.
Schedule a Free Consultation Regarding Your Surgical Error Case with The Lawrence Firm Today
At The Lawrence Firm, PSC, our Kentucky and Ohio surgical error lawyers are experienced in all kinds of medical malpractice cases and work hard to ensure victims of surgical negligence and their families recover the compensation they deserve for their injuries. We have more than 50 years of experience serving clients injured by surgical malpractice and want to help you obtain compensation for any losses you may have experienced as a result of another’s negligence. We have law offices in both Covington and Cincinnati and offer a free initial consultation for all personal injury cases. Contact us online today or call our Kentucky law office at (859) 578-9130, our Ohio law office at (513) 651-4130, or toll-free at (800) 698-4054 to speak with an experienced lawyer from our firm and to learn more about our vast range of legal services.
You Pay No Fees Unless We Win!
We are happy to offer a free consultation to evaluate your case. If you hire us as your legal counsel, we will represent you on a contingency-fee basis. You will pay no attorneys’ fees unless we recover financial damages.