Our Attorneys Handle Mass Tort Claims
When a dangerous product affects hundreds of people spread out over many states, it is often resolved through a process known as multidistrict litigation (MDL). Multidistrict litigation is a complex process and should be handled by a law firm with experience and resources.
Handling A Wide Range Of Cases
Having years of experience handling product liability and mass tort cases (injuries to a group of people due to the same cause), we at The Lawrence Firm, PSC, are able to skillfully help clients. Our litigators represent clients in a broad range of mass torts, including those involving:
- Abilify: An antipsychotic drug that is used to treat schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and depression. The use of Abilify affects the levels of dopamine and serotonin in the brain. As a result, the taking of Abilify has been associated with individuals developing compulsive behaviors such as spending, gambling, drinking and eating. Contact The Lawrence Firm, PSC, for additional information on your rights against the manufacturer of Abilify.
- Essure: This is a permanent birth control procedure. It is a hysteroscopic sterilization procedure in which small coils are inserted into the fallopian tubes. The side effects include additional surgeries such as hysterectomy, including the removal of the fallopian tubes. Many women have suffered chronic pelvic pain, bleeding, have had internal organs perforated and have developed severe migraines and allergic reactions to the Essure device or its components. There have been deaths and ectopic pregnancies associated with the implantation of Essure. The FDA has recently expanded the “black box warnings” associated with the use of Essure. If you or your loved one has experienced complications from Essure, contact our office so that you may speak with one of the attorneys at The Lawrence Firm.
- Proton Pump Inhibitor Drugs: “PPI” drugs sold over-the-counter known as Nexium, Prilosec and Prevacid when used long term have been shown to cause injuries. PPI drugs are prescribed for heartburn, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or erosive esophagitis. It is documented within the medical literature that PPI drugs when taken over time have caused individuals to develop chronic kidney disease (CKD), end-stage renal failure (ESRD), dementia, heart attacks and bone fractures. The Lawrence Firm, PSC, is experienced in representing individuals who have been injured as a result of taking Nexium, Prilosec or Prevacid.
- Testosterone therapy: If someone suffers from low testosterone levels, or “low T,” a doctor may prescribe testosterone. However, this type of pharmaceutical therapy has now been shown to have the potential for causing devastating side effects, including heart attacks, strokes and pulmonary embolism. The current MDL that has been set up to handle these cases includes all manufacturers of low-T drugs. Our firm is handling these types of cases on an ongoing basis.
- Cardiac Catheters: These devices are used during cardiac ablations and other cardiac procedures. Many individuals have been injured and suffered perforations, bleeding and swelling in the pericardial space around the heart. Electricity when not properly measured can cause holes or perforations in cardiac vessels and surrounding organs. The Lawrence Firm, PSC, has experience in representing individuals and their families for the negligent representations and design defects of medical device manufacturers.
- da Vinci Robotic Surgical System: To assist surgeons and to provide what has been reported as a safer way of performing surgery, many hospitals have been using the da Vinci Robotic Surgical System. However, numerous injuries and deaths have been linked to its use. Our firm is on the cutting edge of litigation in this area, and The Lawrence Firm, PSC is a founding member of the da Vinci Robotic Surgery Litigation Group of the American Association for Justice. We aggressively handle these cases on behalf of our injured clients and loved ones who have lost family members due to errors associated with medical devices.
- Duodenoscopes: Flexible tubes inserted through the mouth, throat and stomach into the top of the small intestines known as the duodenum. The scopes are used during endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (“ERCP”) to diagnose and treat problems with the pancreas and bile ducts. There have been bacterial infections associated with the use of duodenoscopes that have not been properly cleaned during the reprocessing of the devices. The attorneys of The Lawrence Firm, PSC, handle cases of infections associated with the use of unsterile medical devices.
- Inferior Vena Cava Filter: Otherwise known as “IVC Filter” is a small metal cage-shaped device that is implanted in the inferior vena cava just below the kidneys. The IVC Filter is designed to capture blood clots and prevent them from reaching the lungs. It is designed to be a removable device. Yet, many individuals have experienced injuries or deaths from the IVC Filters manufactured by Cook Select or Bard. The IVC Filters migrate or move and cause injuries to other vessels and organs. The IVC Filters in many instances cannot be removed and may cause further injuries to internal organs. The Lawrence Firm, PSC, represents families whose loved ones have been injured and died as a result of the Cook Celect or Bard IVC Filters.
- Power morcellators: There have been recent recalls and concerns regarding power morcellators. These are devices used in gynecological surgeries to cut up tumors, organs and other tissue into small pieces so they can be removed without the patient having to endure a large abdominal incision. Unfortunately, an increase in cancers has been seen after these procedures, as the de vices spread small, previously undetected cancerous cells during the procedure. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is recommending that the use of power morcellators be suspended until more research is done. However, individuals who are already suffering from cancer due to these devices need to seek legal representation from an experienced firm like ours.
- An updated safety communication has been issued for laparoscopic uterine power morcellation in hysterectomy and myomectomy.
- Talc Powder: Talc Powder is sold as Johnson’s Baby Powder or Shower to Shower. Talc Powder has caused ovarian cancer leading to injuries and deaths of many women in the United States. It has been known since the 1970’s that Talc Powder by the manufacturers of Talc Powder that the use of Talc Powder has been associated with causing ovarian cancer in women. If you or your loved one has developed ovarian cancer, you may have a claim that against Johnson and Johnson. The Lawrence Firm, PSC, has experience in representing individuals against manufacturers who have injured and died as a result of ovarian cancer.
Other Mass Torts
- AT&T billing: There has been an alarming number of instances in which cellphone plan holders have been drastically overbilled over a significant amount of time. Allegations against AT&T include “cramming” — or adding fees that customers never ordered or knew about — overcharging and other billing problems.
- Automobile Manufacturers: Increasingly there have been many instances of manufacturers failing to adhere to safety protocols as established within the United States. The Lawrence Firm, PSC, has handled cases involving the Volkswagen Diesel emissions, seat belt failures and the failure of airbags to deploy.
- Data and Security Breaches: There have been a number of data and security breaches as a result of deficient safeguards and protocols in place by corporate America and insurance companies. The Lawrence Firm, PSC, has represented individuals for the injuries sustained as a result of the data breaches and invasion of privacy.
- Lumber Liquidators: Chinese wood flooring sold by Lumber Liquidators has emitted excessive levels of cancer-causing formaldehyde. For more information, contact our office concerning your rights against Lumber Liquidators.
- Takata AirBag Recall: More than 17 million vehicles made by fourteen different automakers have been subjected to the recall of airbags in the driver’s side or front passenger’s side. The NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) has called this, “the largest and most complex safety recall in U.S. History.” Takata Airbags were installed from 2002 through 2015. These airbags have exploded causing injuries and in some instances killing people. If you or a loved one has been injured by a Takata Airbag call The Lawrence Firm, PSC, for further information.
Taking Care Of The Legal Details
The attorneys and staff at our firm work to focus our clients’ attention not on what MDL is, but on what types of cases can be handled in this way. While we try to help clients understand some facets of the process, we shoulder the legal burden so they can focus on recovery and moving forward with their lives.
Our law offices serve clients throughout the country. If you or a loved one has been injured due to the negligence of another, our lawyers are here to help you explore your legal options.
Contact Our Firm About Product Injury Claims
If you or a loved one has been injured due to negligence of any kind, our lawyers are here to protect your rights. Contact us today online or by telephone at 800-698-4054 to arrange a consultation with a knowledgeable Kentucky or Ohio litigation attorney.