Putting Our Knowledge And Experience To Work
Helping Clients Understand Complex Birth Injury Causes
Medical malpractice and negligence can cause devastating birth injuries to both mother and child. While many birth injuries are unavoidable, others are totally preventable and directly the result of negligence on the part of obstetricians, nurses and other medical professionals.
At TLF, we are passionate advocates for birth injury victims. With offices in Covington and Cincinnati, we represent clients throughout northern Kentucky and southwest Ohio. We are well-versed in the causes of birth injuries and adept at identifying negligence and liability in birth injury lawsuits.
Common causes of birth injuries include:
- Obstetrical malpractice: When obstetricians or nurses fail to recognize warning signs of birth injuries or fail to follow up on warning signs, it can lead to devastating birth injuries.
- Hypoxia or anoxia: Lack of oxygen to the brain, or hypoxia, is one of the leading causes of birth injuries. Hypoxia or anoxia can lead to cerebral palsy, brain damage, and even wrongful death.
- Shoulder dystocia: When the child’s shoulder becomes wedged against the mother’s pubic bone, it can damage a network of nerves called the brachial plexus. Shoulder dystocia can result in Erb’s palsy and other birth defects.
- Cephalopelvic disproportion (large fetus): When the fetus is too large to safely fit through the mother’s pelvis, doctors may need to order an emergency cesarean section or take other measures. Failure to do so can result in a birth injury.
- Medication errors: Overuse or mismanagement of Pitocin and other types of medication can also cause stroke, hypoxia, cerebral palsy, and other severe, life-altering birth injuries.
- Failure to monitor high-risk patients: Doctors and nurses must closely monitor patients when risk factors are present. Risk factors in pregnancy include advanced maternal age, diabetic ketoacidosis, twins/triplets, high blood pressure, pre-eclampsia and prior C-sections.
- Postpartum negligence: Failure to monitor mother and child after birth can also cause injuries, including dangerous infections.
Whatever the cause of the birth injury, it is important to seek experienced legal guidance. Medical professionals and insurance providers aggressively defend against birth injury lawsuits. Our attorneys seek to even the playing field, giving our clients the strong representation they need and deserve.
Contact An Attorney From Our Firm Today ∙ Free Consultations
If you or your child has suffered due to preventable birth trauma or any type of medical negligence, our lawyers are here to protect your rights. Contact us today online or by telephone at 800-698-4054 to arrange a free initial consultation.
You Pay No Fees Unless We Win!
We are happy to offer a free consultation to evaluate your case. If you hire us as your legal counsel, we will represent you on a contingency-fee basis. You will pay no attorneys’ fees unless we recover financial damages.