Putting Our Knowledge And Experience To Work
Defective Medical Device Mass Tort Lawyer
Ohio & Northern Kentucky Mass Tort Attorneys for Defective Medical Devices
Defective medical device injuries occur far too often. In many cases, victims of these devices feel that they have no recourse and no meaningful way to fight back and obtain the compensation they deserve for the injuries and injustices they have suffered. Fortunately, there are legal options available for victims of defective medical device injuries. In some cases, the best way for these victims to seek justice is along with other plaintiffs who have suffered similar fates.
At TLF: The Medical Injury Law Firm, we are here to help patients across Northern Kentucky and Ohio recover compensation after suffering complications from a defective device that led to their serious injury. Our Covington and Dayton personal injury lawyers are experienced and well-versed in complex litigation involving a range of dangerous and faulty medical devices, such as defective knee and hip replacements, for example.
Our attorneys take a personalized, compassionate approach to serving our clients’ needs and an aggressive approach to getting them the compensation they deserve. If you or a loved one are a victim of defective medical device injuries and would like to know your options regarding joining a mass tort case, contact the experienced Ohio + Northern Kentucky medical malpractice lawyers at TLF: The Personal Injury Law Firm by calling (800) 698-4054 today.
What is a Mass Tort Lawsuit?
When a single unlawful act or product causes harm to a large group of people, the affected victims may choose to join in a collective legal action called a mass tort case in order to seek compensation for their injuries. In many cases, plaintiffs may have a better chance at succeeding when they participate in mass tort proceedings rather than taking on the case against a large company or corporation individually.
There are a number of different types of mass torts. For example, these cases often involve a defective drug, defective product, or defective medical device. At TLF, our Ohio mass tort litigation attorneys have handled a number of dangerous drug mass torts (such as testosterone replacement and Benicar medication suits), defective product lawsuits, and mass torts involving defective and malfunctioning medical devices.
Who is Liable in a Mass Tort Lawsuit?
The defendant in a mass tort lawsuit may be any number of individuals or entities involved with the defective medical device. Who is held responsible depends on where the defect originated. As such, the resulting injuries could be attributed to a design defect, manufacturing defect, or marketing defect.
Medical Device Designers
A product’s design flaws are present throughout the entire line, not just one product. If there is a design defect, every product of a certain type will be defective and not safe to use. This is often when you see products being recalled in large quantities. In these cases, the corporation responsible for inherently creating the defective device would be held responsible.
Medical Device Manufacturers
Claims against the medical device manufacturer are typically the most common. A manufacturing defect is one that only affects a few devices and not necessarily the entire product line. While the design itself may have been safe, the end product was made unsafe during the manufacturing process.
Medical Device Marketers
Marketing defects include inadequate instructions about how to properly use a product or a failure to warn about the product’s hidden dangers. This type of lawsuit generally involves defective medical devices that are dangerous in a way that isn’t obvious or doesn’t present danger until after some time has passed (i.e., after it has been in the patient’s body for a certain period of time).
Defective Medical Device Mass Tort Lawsuits We’ve Handled
At TLF: we represent clients in mass tort litigation for those who have been injured by any number of medical devices, including but not limited to:
- Duodenoscope and Endoscope Procedures: Duodenoscopes/endoscopes are long, extended tubes used internally to give doctors visibility in invasive procedures, but can often lead to internal perforation and serious surgical infections.
- The Use of Catheters in Invasive Procedures: Catheters, used in many invasive procedures, can cause internal infections and perforation if not sterilized or used properly.
- Transvaginal Mesh: Transvaginal mesh is an extremely dangerous device used to help women suffering from uterine prolapse and incontinence. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently reclassified transvaginal mesh as a significantly dangerous medical device.
- IVC Filters: IVC (Inferior Vena Cava) filters are inserted into the bloodstream to capture certain blood clots and prevent them from traveling to the heart and lungs, but pieces of these filters can break away and cause significant problems.
- Power Morcellators: There have been several concerns and recent recalls regarding power morcellators. These devices are used in gynecological surgeries to cut up tumors, organs, and other tissue into small pieces so they can be removed without the patient having to endure a large abdominal incision. Unfortunately, an increase in cancers has been seen after these procedures, as the devices spread small, previously undetected cancerous cells during the procedure. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is recommending that the use of power morcellators be suspended until more research is done. However, individuals who are already suffering from cancer due to these devices need to seek legal representation from an experienced firm like ours ASAP.
- DePuy Hip and Knee Replacements: Defective DePuy hip, knee and other joint replacement devices are known to result in serious complications, including fissures in the devices that allow microscopic metal fragments to enter the bloodstream and cause infections and other serious complications.
- da Vinci Robotic Surgical System: To assist surgeons and to provide what has been reported as a “safer” way of performing surgery, many hospitals have taken to the da Vinci Robotic Surgical System. However, numerous injuries and deaths have been linked to its usage. Our firm is on the cutting edge of litigation in this area, and The Lawrence Firm, PSC is a founding member of the da Vinci Robotic Surgery Litigation Group of the American Association for Justice.
What Can an Attorney Do For You in a Mass Tort Case?
If dangerous drugs, faulty products, or defective medical devices have caused you or a loved one injury that has impacted the quality of your life, whether financially, physically, or mentally, you have a right to obtain compensation to cover such damages and get your life back to how it was before the injury (or at least as close as possible). At TLF: The Medical Injury Law Firm, we have handled all kinds of mass torts and have helped our clients recover millions of dollars through settlements and verdicts.
Depending on the factors of your case, the compensatory damages we may fight for will include:
- Medical expenses (including the cost of the initial operation as well as any additional treatment to remedy it)
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity (future income)
- Persistent pain
- Mental or emotional distress (loss of enjoyment of life, loss of consortium, etc.)
- Wrongful death damages
The Cincinnati, Dayton, and Northern Kentucky attorneys at TLF have a wealth of medical knowledge and experience in personal injury, medical malpractice, and defective product claims. As such, our legal team knows what it takes to uncover evidence of medical negligence and dangerous medical devices causing serious illnesses and injuries. We will walk you through the legal process and fight to help you obtain the compensation you deserve. For more information about what to expect when we take your case, visit our website or contact us via email or telephone today.
Call TLF for Experienced Mass Tort Litigation for Defective Medical Devices
You don’t have to suffer in silence forever; if faulty medical devices, dangerous drugs, or any other defective product caused you harm, you may have an avenue for legal recourse through mass tort litigation.
Mass tort cases are often complex legal matters that require the skill, knowledge, resources, and dedication of an experienced team of attorneys. Contact TLF: The Medical Injury Law Firm today to discuss your case and the best way to proceed. You can reach us by submitting an online intake form here or calling our Northern Kentucky law office at (859) 578-9130, our Ohio law office at (513) 651-4130, or toll-free at (800) 698-4054 for a free consultation.
You Pay No Fees Unless We Win!
We are happy to offer a free consultation to evaluate your case. If you hire us as your legal counsel, we will represent you on a contingency-fee basis. You will pay no attorneys’ fees unless we recover financial damages.