A patient has arrived at the hospital with complaints of chest pains and shortness of breath. The doctor failed to diagnose his condition, suggested that the patient was suffering from a virus and instead of treating him told the patient he go home. No medication was prescribed and it appears the only treatment suggested was bed rest. The patient went home but felt that something much worse was wrong than a virus. He then wrote up his will and a short time later died.
Medication errors in Ohio are potentially devastating. An Ohio pharmacist once served six months in jail for neglecting to detect a mistake made by a technician in mixing chemotherapy. A 2-year-old girl, receiving what was to be her last chemotherapy treatment, died as a result of the medication error in giving the girl an overdose of saline. Perhaps to cut costs, the pharmacist was working alone on the Sunday he made the mistake; with no help other than the technician who composed the fatal mixture. The fact that the pharmacist and others who have committed similar forms of medical malpractice have felt overwhelming pangs of guilt has lead to the coining of a descriptive phrase for them, the "second victim."