Putting Our Knowledge And
Experience To Work
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Medical Malpractice
  4.  » Family accuses hospital of medical malpractice

Family accuses hospital of medical malpractice

| Jan 5, 2017 | Medical Malpractice

Kentucky parents can obviously relate to various mishaps that occur when children are between ages 12 and 24 months. From falls to putting things in their mouths that do not belong there, toddlers keep most parents on the alert. A mother in another state took immediate action when her 19-month old daughter accidentally swallowed a coin-shaped battery. However, the situation that unfolded at the hospital afterward has led to a medical malpractice lawsuit.

The mother called 911, and the child was taken to the hospital. The parents were reportedly very concerned about possible chemical burns and wanted the battery immediately removed. The doctor who tended the situation apparently told them it was a harmless situation and the battery did not need to be removed. He allegedly told the parents it was not that unlike swallowing a coin.

Some time later, because the battery was still inside their daughter, the parents learned the child was suffering burning to her esophagus. She was rushed to an operating room for emergency surgery. Since then, she has had at least 20 other surgeries, but she is still unable to eat solid food.

The parents have filed a medical malpractice claim. Although details on the exact amount of damages the couple has claimed have not been provided, it is known that they have spent between $300,000 and $400,000 on medical bills alone. The situation has been emotionally traumatic for the family as well. Any parents in Kentucky who believes hospital negligence has resulted in injury to their children may contact a personal injury attorney to discuss filing similar claims.

Source: newsinfor.inquirer.net, “Toddler swallows battery; family sues hospital“, Dec. 29, 2017

Archives